Friday, September 18, 2015

DIY Edible Stormtrooper cake topper by Angeli Zankel

Hello again, 

I have to do a little research when it comes to planning my children's parties. From finding the best and affordable pastry chefs to finding the right fondant designers. It's really enjoyable to see my designs come to life!

My cake topper designers prices are going up. Hey, I'm not complaining. I think any type of craftsmanship should be well compensated. However this time I wanted something very simple so I wanted give it a try because I could't pay over $100 for something that I might be able to do. 
I'm glad I did it. Making the stormtrooper head was a piece of cake! First, I bought 2 boxes of Rice Krispies Treats (bars) at the supermarket, 2 bags chocolate melts and 1 box of white and black fondant at Party City. I didn't go and buy every piece of fondant designer tools. Actually, I didn't buy any tools at all! My tools were my own roller, metal ruler, a butter knife and laid out my fondant on a cookie sheet. Don't forget to dust it with flour before you work on your fondant. Pretty much pretend you work with fondant as you are using playdoh.  






I'm attaching the process….if you have any questions please feel free to leave it under comments.

1. Look for a model inspiration to make your molding.  2. Combine all the bars and try to shape it as close as possible. I found it easier to cut them in strips to apply the details. 3. Melt the chocolate melts in the microwave and keep stirring and keep heating until you find the smooth consistency. Hold by the bottom of the head and  gently covered it with the chocolate. Let it sit on plastic and put it on the freezer. For about 15 minutes. With a sharp knife shave off the chunks and make it smooth  4. While waiting, roll your fondant as you are working on pizza dough. You let it drape on your stormtrooper head and gently folding it and take out any excess with scissors or butter knife. 5. Work on long and thin rectangles details by using metal ruler, apply it by using a dab of water  6. Use small caps to make the perfect circles. 7.  Use butter knife to make the shapes.  8. Finishing touches. was making it shiny.  Use 1:1 of Vodka and Corn syrup. Don't apply too much.   9. Use a brush to paint it. Let  it air dry. Not bad, right? :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment